Saturday, July 18, 2009

Don't it make my blue eyes green?

Forgive me for obscure post titles.

This one is about how "Green" I am!

Well, truth be told, I was "green" before green was in. Well, at least since the first time (second time? third time?) green was "in" in the 1980s and 1990s.

I spent more than a decade as a naturalist/park ranger/educator (you know, the earthy crunchy type who leads kids and groups on nature hikes) in the field of environmental education with local and national parks. (Yosemite and Point Reyes, if you were curious.)

Yes, we practiced and preached a number of "green" techniques...reducing, reusing and recycling. Hiking, camping and living "lightly" and gently on the earth.

And how do I intend to be "green" in this endeavor?
  • Well, first of all, I plan to buy already existing homes and restore them using as-green-as-possible-and-economical methods and supplies.
  • I plan to refinish furniture in as-non-toxic-and-earth-friendly methods as I can find. (I'd like to live a long and healthy life too!)
  • I will purchase and restore furniture and other decorative items that have already been well-loved and re-purpose what clients already have on hand when possible.
  • I will recycle or redistribute items that cannot be used in the current design. I make good use of FreeCycle and Recycle Sonoma County to keep things from ending up in a landfill.
  • For new items I or my clients purchase, I will endeavor to find organically grown, non-toxic and fair trade products.
Love your mother earth!

No comments:

Post a Comment